What would you be willing to do to have a better life? Maybe before you answer that question you should answer this one: What would make your life better?
Here’s a list gleaned from clients I’ve worked with who say, “I want the good stuff life has to offer—I want my life to be better.” Check any or all that apply to you:
□ A longer life with a higher level of well-being
□ Increased sense of contentment
□ Increased experience of Joy
□ More energy, flow, optimism, and creativity
□ More satisfying and longer partnerships or marriages
□ More friends and stronger social bonds of support
□ Better physical health and a bolstered immune system
□ Lower levels of stress
□ Less pain
□ More self-confidence
□ Greater amounts of self-regulation (self-control)
□ Better sleep
□ More activity, movement, and exercise
□ Higher income
□ Superior outcomes at work
□ Greater amounts of positive outcomes from personal and professional endeavors
□ Increased level of productivity
How many boxes did you check? Did you check them all? It is possible to cultivate every single item listed above into your life. Today we have several lines of research being followed, tracked and published (check out the resources below) that scientifically prove how all this “good stuff” can be yours. But let me briefly explain how to make it happen.
Begin a Gratitude Practice.
Yes, it sounds simple, but it’s truly an invaluable skill. Plus, it’s easy to adopt if you’re willing following these easy steps:
1—Carve out a small amount of time in your schedule (maybe 3 to 5 minutes) for your practice.
2—Tell your accountability buddy that you are going to start a gratitude practice for the next 7 days and ask them to check in to see if you’ve kept your word.
3—Start your practice, AND start it today. Don’t wait. Start it immediately.
4—(Optional) send us an email at email@example.com and tell us what you experienced in your 7-Day challenge.
If you like this blog, or even better, if you LOVE the transformation you find after your 7-day experience with gratitude, you might also want to:
- Sign up for our 5-Day Challenge where we take this Gratitude thing to a whole new level. As one of the most powerful ways to start your day, gratitude can become a catalyst for managing the day, owning the day, and even winning the day! Instead of letting the day run over the top of you before you even get a foothold, let our 5-Day Challenge put you in charge.
- Take the leap and join us for a year of support in our Be Focused program. If you’re someone who doesn’t want to look or feel irresponsible, if you don’t like it when things fall through the cracks, this program might be right for you. Plus, it’s the most cost-effective means to work with Lyn.
StrongStart with SoulSalt. Learn more about “Gratitude—Source of the Good Stuff” (here) by watching Lyn’s Facebook Live.
- Thanks: How Practicing Gratitude Can Make You Happier, Robert A Emmons, Ph.D., Houghton Mifflin Company, 2008
- Avoiding the Enemies to Happiness, Grant Soosalu, Generative Designs Pty. Ltd, 2014
- The Gratitude Experiment, Wellcast, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5lZBjWDR_c
- Secrets of the Millionaire Mind: Mastering the Inner Game of Wealth, T. Harv Eker, Harper Collins, 2009
- The How of Happiness; A New Approach to Getting the Life You Want, Sonja Lyumbomirsky, The Penguin Press, 2007
- Discover the Three Keys of Gratitude Unlock Your Happiest Life; Jane Ransom, TEDxChennai Tedx Talks, 2012
- The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work, A Practical Guide from the Country’s Foremost Relationship Expert, John M. Gottman, Ph.D., and Nan Silver, John Wiley and Sons Inc., 1999