Do you want to learn how to create the life you want?
Amazing! This article will show you the direction to living a life full of passion and purpose while achieving important goals.
We all have dreams, goals, and aspirations we wish to achieve.
The tricky part: connecting the dots between what we want and how to achieve those things. Laying down a step-by-step framework provides a pathway between the two, revealing how to get what you want in life.
So if you feel unclear about what you want, and how to achieve it, read on.
If you already have a defined vision for your life, but you’re not sure how you’ll get there, these steps will help you with that, too.
Step 1: Find your purpose
The process of reinvention often begins with a sense of dissatisfaction. You feel something is going wrong in your life, but you don’t know exactly what would be right.
The first step is to look inward — identifying your true self and the path that will bring you towards your ideal vision for your life.
I truly believe that every person has a purpose in life.
But finding that purpose isn’t always a straightforward path.
From a young age, outside pressure — whether from our friends, family, or society — causes us to lose touch with our inner passions and what we really want out of life.
It takes some self-discovery and reflection to discover what you really love and connect that with how to serve others to help define your purpose.
I suggest writing some of your ideas and random thoughts down to gain insight to help define your purpose. Ask yourself the following questions to begin the process:
- What would you do if you never had to earn another dollar?
- What would you choose to do, even when it sucked?
- What did you love doing as a child?
- What makes you afraid of judgment?
- What makes you angry?
Step 2: Set long term goals to live a successful life
Long term goals refer to those dreams we hold in our hearts. They begin as aspirations and whispers of hope, but they become real when you decide to take action.
Long term goals can relate to your career, like starting a business or changing your profession. You may seek out financial goals like buying a house or paying for your child’s education. Perhaps you have personal aspirations in mind like traveling the world or becoming a mentor.
They may seem out of reach at first, but with time, effort, and planning, we can achieve them.
Here’s how to set tangible, measurable goals:
- Break down long-term goals into baby steps: You need to know what specific steps to take each day, week, and month to achieve your goals.
- Establish metrics of success: KPIs (key performance indicators) will help you stay on the right track.
Step 3: Learn the habits of successful people
You might look to accomplished people and wonder if they have superhuman strengths. But really, many of the world’s most successful people stick to consistent habits that make a big impact over time.
Studying highly successful people increases your chances of achieving goals by developing specific strategies.
Whether it means managing finances wisely, regular exercise, or knowing when to rest, learn the habits of successful people for actionable ways to live a successful life.
Step 4: Stay focused on what you want in life
Our brains switch focus every 40 seconds (or less), and sometimes it feels impossible to make progress towards our goals.
But if you want to learn how to get what you want in life, you’ll need to develop skills to improve your ability to focus on what’s important:
- Brain dump: Write down all your thoughts down to clear out the mental clutter.
- Set priorities: Prioritize daily tasks that move you closer to your goals.
- Say no: Learn to set boundaries and say no to other people’s requests.
- Avoid multitasking: Research proves that multitasking is terrible for focus and productivity.
Step 5: Stay motivated on the way
Self-motivation requires that you believe in yourself, stay inspired, and push forward despite setbacks.
At first, you might go full throttle. But often our most important goals take months, even years, to accomplish. Over time, you will likely experience lulls in motivation.
That’s why it’s crucial to develop strategies for self-motivation to overcome dips such as:
- Keep things simple. Instead of pursuing too many goals at once, focus your energy on one area at a time.
- Break down large goals. Creating small actionable steps helps make your dreams attainable — and seeing continuous progress is super motivating.
- Surround yourself with supportive people. Staying motivated requires avoiding naysayers and seeking out positive support.
- Ask for help from mentors or coaches on how to get what you want in life.
Step 6: Refocus when change happens
When you choose to create the life you want, it means letting go of what no longer serves you — toxic relationships, unfulfilling jobs, unhealthy lifestyles.
When change happens, it can seem like the end of a chapter in a book. As you enter into a new chapter, the transition often feels confusing, uncertain, or even scary. It takes time to find your way.
Knowing how to manage this middle period will help you navigate through a confusing transition.
Discover how to refocus your life when you feel the pull of a new direction through strategies such as:
- Practicing self-care, and make sure you get enough sleep, nutrition, and rest.
- Taking risks and learning to step outside of your comfort zone to try new things.
- Learning all you can through podcasts, books, TedTalks, workshops… anything that will open your mind to new ideas.
- Work with a coach or mentor to guide you when you lose direction and need to refocus.
- Don’t give up! The push to live a successful life doesn’t happen overnight, but you will get there if you continue to focus.
Step 7: Become a badass in your new life
My definition of becoming a badass is living a true, strong, and focused life.
It’s shaking off the expectations of others and your self-imposed limitations, so you can live the most authentic and fulfilled version of your life.
As you read through the steps in this article, you’ll see that they’re each designed to help you get what you want — not in a generic successful life, but your unique badass life.
And it all starts with uncovering your true identity: